Take advice on expenses claims says tax expert

Jan 29, 2015

Although some employees can claim tax relief for some expenses incurred relating to their job, a new way of claiming being introduced by the tax office is complicated, warned a tax expert.

Owen Kyffin, director and tax expert at Whitley Stimpson, leading accountants and business advisers said: “Employment expenses that can be claimed for against tax can include the cost of professional fees or subscription, business travel and subsistence, tools and specialist clothing.

“Some employers have a special arrangement with HM Revenue and Customs that means the employee need take no action. However, if the employer has not reimbursed staff for any of their expenses they can claim through a new form which can be filled in online.”

But Owen warned that the new form has to be printed off and sent to HMRC and it cannot be saved online to come back to if partly filled in, so claimants have to have all their details to hand before starting, and they will need the latest version of Internet Explorer or browser.

He added: “It is not an easy task and HMRC has already been told about limitations to the form because people with older computers may not be able to use the form.

“HMRC have withdrawn a PDF version of the form and HMRC have been asked to reinstate this until they have solved the limitations of the trial version online.”

Employees needing advice on claiming work expenses can get advice from Owen Kyffin on 01295 270200 or owenk@whitleystimpson.co.uk